Thursday, June 27, 2013

A New Method...The Bar Method

I've always enjoyed working out; however, the redundancy of the same workout everyday (elliptical. treadmill. stairclimber. repeat) was starting to get old. I kept hearing about this new ballet bar workout from, seemingly, everywhere. Friends, my hairdresser, random strangers were all talking about this body changing workout. So, as soon as I got here to Burbank I decided to try it out. Tonight was my first class at the Bar Method Burbank and let me tell you, it ain't easy.

The Bar Method integrates interval training, isometrics and principles of dance conditioning to burn fat, shape muscles and elongate the body. The class is an hour long and is really difficult, especially if you're like me and hardly ever incorporate these types of movements into your workout. I am definitely going to be sore tomorrow.

One thing that I learned at the Bar Method tonight that I didn't expect was a lesson about kindness. I was so nervous to go to this class, I had a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach since about 3 o' clock (the class started at 7:30 pm). I always get nervous going into new situations when I'm doing something I really care about succeeding at. When I walked into the studio everyone was so friendly to me. The instructor introduced herself right away and the other women included me in their conversations before class. It really comforted me to know that it would be hard but they survived, and so could I! One particular woman, I didn't get her name, talked to me all the way up to the beginning of the class. She offered me advice for the class and for fun things to do in the LA area. It was really nice to have someone to talk to before class! I even forgot how nervous I had been. You never really know how just being friendly and talking to someone can really impact their day! I am extremely grateful to this woman.

So, if you want to push yourself to try something new, just remember that everyone has to start somewhere and everyone was a beginner at some point. It is a victory that you are even out there trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment