Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pacific Rim Screening

On Monday I had the privilege of seeing an early screening of Pacific Rim, a film I have been dying to see since we had our Q&A with Guillermo Del Toro at DreamWorks. When he talked about Pac Rim you could see and feel the passion pouring out of him. It is rare to see that kind of passion from anyone, and when you see it from a world renowned director you can't help but feel excited for the final product. It also doesn't hurt that Pac Rim is my "kind of movie" - tons of action, giant robots and aliens, and two of my favorite actors Charlie Hunnam and Ron Perlman who I already love from Sons of Anarchy. Needless to say, my expectations were pretty high and...Drum roll please...they were met.

Pac Rim is exactly what you expect it to be and more. Now when I say exactly what you expect- it is a monster movie with giant robots, expect a monster movie with giant robots. Accept it for what it is and you'll enjoy it (and any movie) a lot more. But, I digress. 

The visual effects alone are a conversation in themselves. The colors used were bright and vibrant, which might not seem all that special, but now that I've told you notice the difference in the colors used in Pac Rim versus other action movies that use vfx. The monsters and robots were huge, intimidating and intricate. The sheer size of them was amazing. The plot was typical- "we're canceling the apocalypse!" but again, we knew what this movie was about. There was even a romantic subplot for the ladies- and a lot of scenes with shirtless Charlie Hunnam. A few characters provide some comic relief for the film and had me laughing out loud at several points. I don't want to spoil it too much, so I'll stop here, but if you want to see an action packed monster movie this summer, Pac Rim is for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment