Sunday, June 30, 2013

Is this real life?

As I'm sitting here in the laundromat, I'm reflecting on my time here in Burbank and thinking to myself... Is this real life?

To be honest, living here in Burbank has been the closest I've ever been to being completely independent. I live alone, spend most of my time by myself and, with the exception of rent, I pay for everything myself too. I can't help but think, in fact I know, that this is very close to what my life will be life after college. This is what being a REAL adult feels like.

So how does it feel? I haven't completely made up my mind yet. On one hand, I'm an independent person by nature so doing these things doesn't feel that different to me. What does feel different though is not caring about spending my weekends alone...not caring if I'm at the coolest party or spending time with people just to say I was there. For the most part I've been in this transition for awhile, slowly learning to say "no" if I need some me time or if I need to rest. On the other hand I'm learning this is a difficult balance because it does pay off to step out of your comfort zone sometimes. I think there is such a thing as too much solidarity. It is nice to be able to count on people.

Last but not least, your view on what's worth paying for really changes when you pay for everything yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment